- The sun plays a much larger role in plant selection than many think. Some plants do best in a sunny area whereas others require more shade. It is important to know which plant options would work best for your specific spot.
- This could be a life or death factor for your plants. It is important to evaluate your location and pick your plants based on what will work best for that location.
- Plants, like people grow to be different sizes, however to a much more extreme scale. Some can grow to stay a ground cover at a couple inches tall and others can grow to over 70 feet! Make sure to do your research and decide how much room you are willing to give to your newly acquired landscape. Although not the same age, a future large shade tree can be the same size as a small flowering shrub when young. Do not be fooled by the current size of the plant in the garden center ask first.
4. Personal taste:
- An evergreen will provide interest in front of your house year round, where as a deciduous shrub or tree could flower and add some real nice color but look bare for a couple months during the winter. Does one want an eye soar in front of their house for the winter months or do the positives outweigh the negatives?
- A deciduous shrub or tree could provide beautiful flowers and color in the back yard, but will it really be viewed in the winter when the leaves fall off?
- The beauty of landscaping is every situation is different, sometimes the best solution for the area is a mix of evergreens, deciduous trees and shrubs to provide an array of colors deciduous plants have to offer with the solid backing of a dependable evergreen.
- A ballpark budget should be established prior to starting the project.
- Numerous factors go into establishing the worth of a plant; a common, run of the mill plant will be more expensive than a rare specimen of similar or smaller size, generally a older plant will be priced higher than a younger plant of the same species and a tightly trimmed plant would cost more than a loosely grown weaker structured plant.
- Taking the factors of ages, rarity and structure into consideration. As one could gather, a single projects options could have a very wide range of pricing.
This can be alot for one to digest, especially with little experience in the field, but here at Wiesner Bros., we are more than happy to help.