As the cooler weather starts to approach, now is a great time to prepare your garden for the winter before it gets too cold. The previous article on this months blog went in depth into the importance of keeping your plants trimmed and why now is the time to do it. Here is a list of some other steps to be taken before it gets to cold to be working outside.
- Rake fallen leaves from your lawn or garden. This is important as leaves left on your lawn can cause the lawn to die from not receiving enough sunlight. These leaves can be shredded to compost faster.
- Clean up your beds by removing any dead plants. They can also be used as compost as long as the branches aren’t too thick.
- Fall is a great time to plant! Any additions to your garden you were hoping to make, now would be a great time to do so as watering will only have to be minimal with the cool weather.
- Save your seeds from your favorite vegetable varieties from this year. A good method is to dry them out, place them in a paper envelope and write the plant name and year on it. This envelope can then be put in an airtight container and stored in a cool, dark and dry location.
- Wrap your fig trees as this will prevent them from dying back thus a better harvest.
- Freshen up mulch in garden beds, this will provide an extra layer of insulation, especially beneficial on your new plants.
Wiesner Bros. Nursery is here to help with any of your gardening questions. Contact Us here or stop into the nursery with your pictures! We are here for you.